How often do you review your salon retail strategy? With so much else going on, this can be something that falls to the wayside!
Nevertheless, salon retail is an incredibly important part of your business. Today, more than ever, clients are looking for products that they can use at home to get salon results themselves. DIY is getting bigger and bigger, so make the most of it!
If you need to refresh your take on it, read our guide to see if there is any way you can give your retail sales a boost this year…
Why is retail important in a salon?
The first reason why you probably think retail is important to your salon is the boost in revenue it can give you. If even just half of your clients buy a salon retail product during their appointment, you can add a profitable stream of revenue to your business.
But, other than profit, do you know why else retail is important to your salon business? It’s not just about money. A good salon retail strategy should also:
- Allow you to show your clients that you are an expert in the products you use on their hair
- Help to educate your clients on the best way to maintain their results and care for their hair at home
- Educate you, the stylist, on the different ways your salon products can be used
- If done properly, can build up a relationship of trust with your clients
Remember, you are the expert. Your clients come to you to get the best possible results and advice. They want to know what you think!
How do you retail products in a salon?
For many stylists, the word ‘retail’ is a scary word. It sounds ‘salesy’ and can be off-putting for those who don’t want to make their clients feel uncomfortable.
However, the truth is, very few of us are actually natural born salespeople! Retailing products doesn’t have to lead to awkward conversations with clients. Rather, it can be approached more along the lines of education for your clients – if you love the products, share that enthusiasm with them.
Need some more advice on improving your salon retail strategy? Consider these tips to help you boost retail sales in your salon…
- Choose the right products – before you even get into selling, make sure you have chosen products that you genuinely believe in. Do they fit in with your salon ethos? Would you recommend them to a friend? If not, they probably aren’t a good fit.
- Start with consultation – every hair appointment should start with a good client consultation. Get a good understanding of what their main hair concerns are and what their hair goals are
- Create conversation – let your client know what products you are using on their hair as you apply them. Tell them what the benefits are and ask them what they would usually use. Get to know their hair routines and you can make helpful suggestions about what products they could benefit from.
- Remember their last visit – be careful not to put clients off by telling them the same thing during every visit. This won’t sound genuine. If you used a new product for their last appointment, try asking them what they thought of it. Plus, if they weren’t keen on it, you can try something else they might like more.
- Arrange product education – you can’t expect your stylists to sell if they don’t know what products you have in the salon. Many professional brands have education materials you can use to make sure all your staff are experts in all the products you stock.
- Try them out yourself! – even after an education session, sometimes the best way to get to know the products is to try them yourself. Give your stylists samples to take home with them so they can let clients know they have tried it themselves personally. This helps build trust and helps stylists give more insights into how to use the products.
When it comes to the end of your appointment, make sure your salon retail stands clearly display your products so clients can see what is available.
You can offer a gentle prompt and ask if they would like to buy any of the products they used today. If they say no – don’t worry! Lots of people don’t like making impulse purchases, so they might still consider buying one next time.
What products should you retail in a salon?
One of the other most difficult parts of salon retail is choosing the best products to use and sell!
First of all, you need to be sure you can actually make a good profit on the products you choose. You also want to consider your average client. Make sure the price point is something they can afford yet still demonstrates salon quality.
Have a reasoning behind each product, too. Keep in mind which ones are best for damaged hair, coloured hair, curly hair and so on. That way, you can easily tailor which products are perfect for each client.
Finally, keep an eye on how fast each product sells. If you have one that moves a lot slower than others, figure out why this is – is it too expensive? Are stylists finding that clients don’t like it? Try and fix these issues, or if it just isn’t working, replace it with another product before you invest any more into it.
Our top selling salon products to retail in salons
Take a look at some of our best selling salon products that are perfect for retailing to clients for at-home hair care…
For clients with hair damage…
If you offer OLAPLEX treatments in your salon, the service doesn’t end there. Clients can continue to maintain their results with take home retail products, including…
- The NEW OLAPLEX No.0 Bond Builder
- OLAPLEX No.3 Hair Perfector
- OLAPLEX No.4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo
- OLAPLEX No.5 Bond Maintenance Conditioner
- OLAPLEX No.6 Bond Smoother
- OLAPLEX No. 7 Bonding Oil
One of the perks of retailing OLAPLEX is the hype around it. Clients will likely already have heard about the salon-standard results they can achieve with it at home.
Take a look at the latest OLAPLEX at home treatment and how clients can use it on our blog!
BeautyPro Hair Therapy Conditioning Hair Treatment Mask
Not every client wants to make a big purchase after they’ve just paid for their salon treatment. So, having some lower value items at your salon reception is a good idea.
The BeautyPro Hair Therapy Conditioning Mask is a perfect treat for dry and damaged hair. Infused with Argan and Jojoba oils, it can be ideal for a weekend treat or for travelling.
Related: The Best Treatments for Damaged Hair
For clients maintaining long hair…
L’Oreal Serie Expert Pro Longer
When you have clients with their heart set on long hair, how they look after it at home is important. They might leave your salon with freshly trimmed and conditioned ends, but daily wear and tear can quickly lead to damage!
The L’Oreal Serie Expert Pro Longer range is designed specifically with this in mind. Visibly reducing split ends by up to 94%, the L’Oreal Serie Expert Pro Longer Shampoo and L’Oreal Serie Expert Pro Longer Conditioner are available at Salons Direct in retail size bottles.
Clients could also try out the L’Oreal Serie Expert Pro Longer Concentrate Filler and L’Oreal Serie Expert Pro Longer Heat Protection.
For clients with coloured hair…
Do your clients know why salon shampoos are better for hair? Unlike cheaper shampoo, most professional shampoos are formulated with fewer damaging chemicals and more nourishing ingredients.
Pureology is one brand that has been championing ‘good’ hair ingredients for years. The whole range also contains their unique AntiFade complex which protects hair colour to keep it vibrant.
As one of the best selling shampoo brands with a strong reputation, this could be the perfect retail product for your salon. Available in 266ml bottle sizes, why not try adding it to your shampoo selection?
Find out more about why Pureology is good for hair here!
Another excellent salon shampoo is the iconic Redken. Again, this hair care brand has a strong reputation, so you might not need to convince clients too much on its benefits.
For coloured blonde hair, the Redken Color Extend Blondage contains an ultra violet pigment to tones for a brighter blonde. For platinum blondes, the Redken Graydiant Shampoo neutralises brassiness while the Redken Brownlights Color Extend Shampoo keeps brunette hair a beautiful cool tone.
Find our more: Everything You Need to Know About Redken!
For day-to-day hair maintenance…
Revlon UniqOne All in One Hair Treatment
It’s not just damaged hair that needs extra care. Even healthy locks need good day-to-day care to keep it looking beautiful. Revlon’s UniqOne All in One spray is the perfect all-rounder, helping manage dry and damaged hair, controlling frizz, providing heat and colour protection, adding body and more!
Available in lush coconut, lotus flower and green tea fragrances and at an affordable price, this is a great product for clients to add to their daily hair care routine.
Looking for more? See our full range of leading professional hair care products online at Salons Direct
Find more hair salon advice on the Salons Direct blog…
The Best Salon Shampoos For Blonde Hair | How to Leverage More Profit For Your Salon Through Treatment Packages | How Can You Make Your Salon More Profitable?