Whether it’s the curly perms of the 1980s, or the iconic ‘Rachel Haircut‘ made famous by Jennifer Anniston in the 1990s, you can truly define a decade by the hair colours and hair cuts that were popular at the time. And as trends inevitably come and go, in time, some of the old favourites will come back around, perhaps with a little tweak here or there to make them more current and relevant.
How do hair trends start?
All it takes is a prominent influencer to sway the movement (Hello Kourtney Kardashian and her super sleek bob), or a groundbreaking hair cutting technique or hair colouring technique to take centre stage. Trends keep hairstyling fun by shaking up techniques and keeping us all on our toes. Here, we are taking a deep dive into each of the key hair trends that we’ll see emerging and developing throughout 2022 as well as a rundown of the key products to help you achieve each trend.
What Are The Key Hair Trends Of 2022?
- Straight and sleek.
- Ponytails with braids.
- 90s fluffy blow out hair.
- Natural curls with curly fringes.
- Short cropped bobs.
- Expensive blended blonde & blended brunette subtle balayage.
- Hair accessories.
1. Straight & Sleek
Say goodbye to flyaways; we’re making way for fresh, straightened hair styled with a defined middle parting. This polished look brings a twist on 2021s much loved straight and sleek ponytail and lends itself well to clients without a fringe or layers. To get the look, blow-dry your client’s hair poker straight, going over it with a straightening iron or heated brush if needed before pushing the hair behind their ears. Spritz with a light mist of hairspray to hold the style in place.
Nail the straight & sleek trend with Salons Direct
- Can be used on any hair type including damaged hair, fine hair and thick hair.
- 36 heat and speed settings and 2 drying programmes.
- Built-in silencer – at high speeds, it is 25% more silent and at the lowest speed is 52% more silent.
- 50% less energy consumption at lower speeds and temperatures.
- Instant cold shot button.
- Ceramic technology produces negative ions to moisturise and add shine to the hair.
- Salon Length Cord.
- 12-month warranty.
- 14-day money-back guarantee.
- The Elchim Hot Honey Care Sublime Liss Smoothing Treatment Pods are designed to smooth hair and add shine.
- Immediate effect: gives your hair visible shine.
- Hot Honey Care uses heat to spread evenly during drying and styling.
- Features a unique combination of hot bristles to relax the hair & cool bristles to set it straight.
- Macadamia, Argan Oil & Keratin-Infused hot ceramic bristles provide a sleek, smooth & shiny result.
- Digital Variable Heat 80°C to 210°C.
- Suitable for all hair types & textures including hair extensions.
- Highly-concentrated, weightless reparative styling oil.
- Repairs damaged and compromised hair.
- Strengthens and protects hair structure.
- Restores healthy appearance and texture.
- Improved lustre, shine, and manageability.
- Suitable and beneficial to all hair types.
- Paraben-Free, Sulfate-Free & Phthalate-Free.
- Cruelty-Free & Vegan.
- Leave-in reparative styling creme eliminates frizz, hydrates & protects all hair types.
- Excellent for all hair types including coloured and chemically treated hair.
- Strengthening, hydrates, moisturises and speeds up blow-dry times while smoothing.
- Eliminate frizz and flyaways for up to 72 hours.
2. Ponytail With Braids
The humble ponytail has glowed up for 2022, as we’re seeing more celebs and influencers rocking a ponytail with braids. What sets this hairstyle apart from a classic fishtail braid, or a french plait is that you are braiding the actual lengths of the hair and keeping the main part of the hair slicked back and polished.
Nail the ponytail with braids trend with Salons Direct
- Refillable Hair Tools Pins and Grips Session Kit contains clips and pins ideal for hair updos.
- Kit contains: 100 x 2” Waved Grips Brown.
- 100 x 2” Waved Grips Black.
- 100 x 2” Waved Grips Blonde.
- 100 x 2 1/2” Waved Pins Brown.
- 80 x 2 1/2” Plain Pins Brown.
- Ultra-strong hold without any stickiness.
- Formulated with film-forming polymers to provide extreme hold with plenty of shine.
- The non-sticky formulation is easy to brush out, so any styling can be quickly reworked.
- Manufactured with a special anti-static material.
- Heat resistant.
- Nylon bristles.
- Pointed, flexible tail which can be used to section and dress long hair.
- Ideal for backcombing.
3. 90’s Fluffy Blow Out Hair
What did we tell you? What goes around really does come back around when it comes to the most popular hair trends. The 90’s fluffy blowout is back with a bang in 2022. Whether it’s inspiration taken from Adele, Cher Horowitz of Clueless, or 90s supermodel Cindy Crawford, big hair is back. You can achieve this look for your clients with heated rollers, curling tools, or a voluminous blow-dry. It is all about the volume in the root with this look and the fluffier the hair, the better.
Nail the 90’s fluffy blow-out trend with Salons Direct
- Fortifying Bamboo volumises fine, thin, limp hair without damage, dehydration or weighing hair down.
- Non-damaging & non-dehydrating.
- Thickens strands without using the typical “thickening” ingredients such as alcohol, salt, or resins, that create volume by forcing up the cuticle so strands don’t lie flat.
- Proprietary polymer/Bamboo blend surrounds each strand, mimicking “cuticle lifting” hair thickeners to create volume while allowing hair’s cuticle to remain closed and intact.
- Not stiff, sticky or crispy.
- Creates volume and texture to make hair feel thicker and fuller.
- Conditions hair to make it smooth and soft.
- Long-lasting hold.
- Ionic technology hydrates the cuticle and adds shine.
- Special grip bristles for self-holding.
- Ceramic coated barrel heats up faster and retains heat longer.
- Large vents for maximum airflow.
- Extremely lightweight.
- Patented Perfect Locking System, gap-free connection.
- One hand quick release handle.
- 1 x 26mm barrel.
- 1 x 36mm barrel.
- 1 x 46mm barrel.
- 1 x 56mm barrel.
- 1 x 66mm barrel.
- 1 x handle with pick.
4. Natural Curls With Curly Fringes
Curly girls will embrace and emphasise their natural texture styled with shorter wispy bangs. Ideal for hair that is cut into a mid-length shag, clients with all over ringlets and wet look bobs, curly girls can enjoy beautiful bangs that sweep or side part. This style looks its most beautiful best when curls are glossy and shiny, so be sure to pack that moisture in and keep curls hydrated.
Nail the natural curls with curly bangs trend with Salons Direct
Key Features of the Bonacure Keratin Perfect Smooth Micellar Shampoo & Conditioner
- Ideal for taming unruly, thick and coarse hair.
- Perfect for wavy, curly, frizzy hair that needs smoothing and control.
- Helps to strengthen the hair structure to optimal pH 4.5, bringing coloured hair closer than ever to 0% fade.
- Ultra-lightweight dryer at just 465g and one of the lightest professional dryers in the market, ideal for mobile stylists.
- Powerful and hot – performs like a 2400 Watts dryer but uses less energy to work (1.600W at 220V and 2.000W at 240V).
- 3 different coloured filters that work as a silencer.
- Two nozzles: one narrow and one large
- Advanced ceramic technology creates ions naturally and moisturises/protects hair from the effects of heat.
- 12-month warranty.
- 14-day money-back guarantee.
- The Elchim Cocoon 3900 Diffuser is perfect for creating fantastic volume.
- Suitable for Elchim 3900, 8th Sense and Xlite dryers.
Related: Spotlight on Elchim hairdryers
- TIGI Bed Head Foxy Curls Mousse Aerosol helps to maintain curls shape and style for long-lasting results.
- Conditions and softens hair.
- Smooth cuticles to help maintain the shape and style of the curl.
5. Short Cropped Bob
The short, cropped bob is having a moment, clients will be opting for blunt cuts, with subtle rounding to the back of the head. In 2022 the short bob is sleek, polished and smooth with no flyaways and minimal touselling.
Nail the short-cropped bob trend with Salons Direct
Key Features of the Pureology Hydrate Sheer Shampoo & Conditioner
- Will hydrate fine dry, colour-treated hair with key ingredients Jojoba, Green Tea, and Sage and a signature aromatherapy blend of Mint, Menthol, and Greens.
- The thirst-quenching formula helps provide superior moisture, touchable softness and extraordinary colour protection for fine hair.
- 100% Vegan Formula.
- An invisible multi-benefit hair oil, perfect for all hair types and textures.
- This hair oil protects hair from heat, seals in moisture and helps tame frizz whilst providing instant softness, smoothness and shine.
- Smooth, round-ended pins do not catch or drag the hair.
- Handle runners provide sharp ‘styling edges’ to aid hair shaping and sculpting.
- Staggered pin pattern for optimum grip and control.
- The traditional ‘tear-drop’ handle provides exceptional balance and comfort.
- The famous Denman anti-static pad provides maximum grip and control.
- Working at an optimum styling temperature of 185°C.
- Empowers you with 70% stronger hair*, double the colour protection and 20% more shine.
- Heat is monitored 250 times a second throughout the precision-milled plates during styling.
- The versatile round barrel allows you to create multiple looks.
6. Expensive blended blonde & blended brunette subtle balayage
For colour trends in 2022, we’re seeing a shift to more “expensive” looking colour techniques still inspired by balayage but less contrasting in comparison to the super blended techniques we’ve seen over the last 3 years. Natural brunettes will be opting to sit within a colour range closer to their natural colour with enhanced rich tones.
Nail the expensive blended blonde and subtly blended balayage trend with Salons Direct
- Demi-permanent solution.
- Glosses, refreshes, tones & corrects with no lift in as little as 20 minutes!
- The easy to use liquid formula offers a sheer result and is the technique perfector you need to create the latest trends your clients are asking for.
- Download your digital shade guide here.
7. Hair Accessories
Hair accessories are making a comeback, and we’re not talking about those small butterfly claw clips of the early ’00s (Thank Goodness!) This year we’re seeing a shift from claw clips to French pins to create effortless, loose half updos.
Nail the hair accessories trend with Salons Direct
- Used for setting hairstyles.
- Use to create stunning updos.
- Will hold hair away from the face while applying make-up on without leaving any crimp marks.
We’d love to see the different styles, cuts and colours that your clients are asking for in 2022.
Leave a comment below or tag us on Instagram @salonsdirect.
Time for more?