Antony Whitaker is an internationally acclaimed, multi award-winning stylist-turned-educator, motivator, business coach and best-selling author. Today he tells us what he thinks is needed to become a super stylist!
The success of every salon depends on one thing; its stylists. They are the key to your business, and whilst their technical ability is an important factor when it comes to hiring a new member of the team, it’s all the other “stuff” they do which makes your salon a success.
When recruiting a new stylist what characteristics are you looking for? What do you think separates the best stylist from an average stylist?
Most people will focus on personality and technical ability – and to an extent, they’d be right to – but there are a few key qualities that tend to be overlooked, and it’s these qualities that really make a super stylist…
How quickly a stylist builds up not only a relationship, but trust, with a client is really important, as is their ability to use this confidence to upsell clients on other services and retail products. From a business perspective, how much a client spends per visit, and their level of rebooking are 2 of the most important key performance indicators.
So what should you look for in a super stylist?
1. Passion – this one goes without saying, but passion for a job is a real motivator to succeed and do well. An essential characteristic in any new member of staff!
2. High volume of clients and rebooks – if your stylist can show a high level of rebooking with their clients then you know you are onto a winner! Look for stylists with great client testimonials and a busy column!
3. Commitment – not just to the job, but to their clients. A happy client is a returning client, and a returning client is more money in the till.
4. High average client spend – retailing in the salon is one of the biggest profit generators for your business. Being able to sell without obviously selling is a skill!
5. Good communication skills – this one is really important as stylists are your connection to your clients, and being able to listen and understand what they want from their visit is what will keep them coming back.