While you might be used to working weekends, skipping your lunch break and going home covered in hair, there’s one thing that you can’t ignore when you are a hairdresser – the aches and pains that come with being on your feet all day.
In fact, if you’ve experienced aching feet, legs or back pain as a hairdresser, you will know how hard your working day at the salon can become. Unfortunately, the nature of the hairdressing profession leaves you vulnerable to a number of physical complaints, including repetitive strain injury, carpal tunnel syndrome, varicose veins, trapped nerves, postural problems and muscle strain.
So, what can be done about it?
Luckily, there are a few simple tips and tricks that can help you out and protect you against any potential health issues.
In fact, one of the easiest ways to combat aching legs and swollen feet as a hairdresser is to invest in a pair of compression leggings – which is why we have introduced The Intelligent Legging here at Salons Direct.
What is The Intelligent Legging?
When you think of compression socks or leggings, you might imagine something you are given in a hospital or aeroplane – this isn’t the case with The Intelligent Legging!
Designed by women, for women, The Intelligent Legging is a multifunctional piece of clothing, that will not only look and feel great but also boasts a number of key health benefits- combining compression wear, shapewear and outerwear into one.
Stylish from the outside, they are also highly functional on the inside, using top textile technology to help you battle aching legs and lower back pain – all while keeping you feeling comfortable and professional in the salon!
Here’s how they work:
Standing for long periods often results in tired aching legs, and can increase the risk of spider and varicose veins. While you wear them, these compression leggings apply continuous pressure to your legs. This encourages blood circulation, helping reduce blood pooling in your ankles and feet, which can cause aching, swelling and even varicose veins.
- Relieves tired achy legs
- Helps prevent spider veins
- Supports varicose veins
- Reduces swollen ankles
Extended Waistband Control Panels
Created out ‘high density power mesh’, the high waist of The Intelligent Legging is there to stabilise and support your core, helping you maintain the correct posture and prevent lower back pain. Not only this, the firm grip of the waist stops them from rolling down and helps smooth your silhouette.
- Relieves lower back pain
- Supports the core
- Slims the mid section
- Always stays up
We know that you not only want to feel good in the salon – you want to look good, too. The Intelligent Legging is highly versatile, with thick black fabric that doesn’t fade or go see-through. With a flattering design, the fabric helps shape, firm and lift your figure, so you still feel smart and professional.
A combination of power mesh inserts and graded compression deliver a smoothing, sculpting and lifting function. Noticeably slimming and firming the hips, thighs and tummy, whilst lifting and shaping the bottom.
- Slim the hips
- Firms the thighs
- Lift the bottom
- Shape the waist
Functional and practical
Along with being comfortable and stylish, the non-fade STAYBLACK® fabric has a whole host of other benefits, including moisture management, hair repellency, quick drying, breathability, bleach resistance and more – all ideal for wearing as salonwear!
What Else Can You Do To Relieve Back, Leg and Foot Pain as a Hairdresser?
Investing in a pair of compression leggings is the best start to preventing tired and achy legs as a hairdresser on your feet all day. The Intelligent Legging is particularly useful as they can so easily be incorporated into your salonwear, thanks to their smart black appearance that can be worn as trousers or under dresses and salon uniform.
However, there are a few other things you can do during the day to keep pain away while working a the salon:
- Always make sure you adjust the client’s chair to a comfortable level so you are not bending over. You also don’t want to have your arms too far above your heart for long periods, as this can also affect your blood circulation.
- Wear comfortable and supportive shoes with a soft non-slip sole. Wearing heels and very flat shoes can be bad for your posture and contribute to back pain.
- Keep a height-adjustable salon stool on hand for when you need to give you feet or back a rest. Again, make sure you are a comfortable height to style the hair and sit up straight.
- Keep active. When you’ve been on your feet all day, we know it’s hard to hit the gym! But, physical exercise will help keep your circulation strong, even if it’s just a quick walk at the end of the day.
- Do some stretches. Maybe see if anyone else in your team wants to go to a weekly yoga class to help release your muscles.
- Give yourself time for self care. People might not think of hairdressing as a physically demanding job, but it really is. Treat yourself to a massage or just time to relax and release some tension.
Please note: The Intelligent Legging should not be used as a substitute for medical treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding any medical condition. If you have any chronic or recurring conditions please seek your physician’s advice before purchasing a compression garment.
For more, browse our full range of professional hair supplies.
Find more salon advice on the Salons Direct blog…